Fading Autographs

Discuss the band.

Fading Autographs

Postby Leee292 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:30 am

When the live concert CD/DVD of Poco playing the Belcourt Theater in 2004 was first released, I ordered it and got a signed CD cover by every member of the band. (Including Rusty Young, RIchie Furay, Paul Cotton, George Grantham, and Jack Sundrud) I have it framed with the promotional poster for that concert.
But for some reason the autographs are fading. In fact the only remaining signature that is clearly legible is Rusty Young's. The rest are barely readable.

I'm just wondering if anyone else who got this special signed CD cover is experiencing the same thing?

I'm thinking of scanning it in to Photoshop to see if I can enhance the autographs and print that out. It's one of my most prized possessions, and I'd like to fix it before the autographs fade completely.

Ride the Country!
Leee292

Re: Fading Autographs

Postby Tabasco » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:23 pm

Well, if you'd stop letting your cat sit on it ....
Tabasco

Postby Leee292 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:26 pm

LOL! If my cats had access to it, there would be nothing left but shredded confetti.
No, I have it under glass, in a frame, hanging on a wall.

I tried fixing it in Photoshop, but the dark brown background pattern, makes the signatures blend right into it. I can't increase the contrast of the signatures without increasing the contrast to the background. Ah, pocoNUTS!
:(
Ride the Country!
Leee292

Postby woogie » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:34 am

Slightly different subject but just as annoying.Some years ago I got a card from King Hussein of Jordan with a photo and his signature on it.The signature was kinda weak and I was worried it would eventually fade.So I got it scanned and put the scanned copy in front of the original in a photo frame.Only recently I decided to have a look at the original and boom no signature it's completely gone, REALLY FRUSTRATING.
Last edited by woogie on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
woogie

Postby Leee292 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:06 am

Well I also have a signed poster from Richie Furay's 70th birthday concert, where Rusty Young opened and joined Richie on stage. This one has autographs from Richie, Rusty and George (No Paul). But at least the signatures are still readable and show no sign of fading.
Ride the Country!
Leee292

Postby Tabasco » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:49 pm

Leee292 wrote:LOL! If my cats had access to it, there would be nothing left but shredded confetti.
No, I have it under glass, in a frame, hanging on a wall.

I tried fixing it in Photoshop, but the dark brown background pattern, makes the signatures blend right into it. I can't increase the contrast of the signatures without increasing the contrast to the background. Ah, pocoNUTS!
:(

Good, someone with a sense of humor, not like some of the folks I know on FB with their shorts in a twist.
Tabasco

Postby mary » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:37 pm

did you have it hanging on a wall where it got direct sunshine? that would cause this to occur.
email me for international merch orders, Mary Young
pocomerch@gmail.com
mary

Postby marc » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:14 pm

I’m interested by Woogie’s post. How and why did you get the Kings autograph? I don’t mean to pry but a signed picture from the King of Jordan is not your common everyday autograph. There must be some kind of interesting story behind it.

Marc-
marc

Postby Jiff » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:59 pm

No help for your fading autographs, but going through stuff for my move last month, I came across official autograph books for the inaugural years of the Seattle Sonics and Pilots, their only year.

My parents waited in the car while we hung around for the players to leave the dressing room for autographs.

I hadn't seen them in 27 years. I got a lot of autographs from the likes of Ted Williams, Wilt Chamberlain, Earl Monroe, etc, plus photos. All still in good shape.
Jiff

Postby woogie » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:14 am

marc wrote:I’m interested by Woogie’s post. How and why did you get the Kings autograph? I don’t mean to pry but a signed picture from the King of Jordan is not your common everyday autograph. There must be some kind of interesting story behind it.

Marc-

Hi Marc, in answer to your request, back in the 80s I worked with a guy who was always telling us that he was a friend of King Hussein who he went to school with as a child and over the years they had kept in touch.One evening at work he was excited and said he was going to phone the King to prove it was true.
Sure enough he phoned while we listened in on an extension.They said some words in Arabic and English and sure enough it was true.
After this happened I told my workmate that I was a radio ham and wished I had a qsl card from HM. He said I'll get you one and after about 3 weeks I received the card in a envelope with a gold crown embossed on it with The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan and some Arabic writing.If I was more PC literate I would add a photo of the card but I don't know how to do it.Pretty impressive being a friend of a King and they remained so til they both died.When they parted at the end of school the king gave my friend a gold watch but it was stolen from him when he was in the Royal Air Force overseas.The King often gave watches as presents to people, I do believe he was a great man and peacemaker, may he rest in peace.
Last edited by woogie on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
woogie

Next

Return to Poco Discussion