Discuss the band.

Re: Fading Autographs

Postby marc » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:39 am

Very cool!

Marc-
marc

Postby flaco » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:36 pm

Sunlight is the culprit...I do believe they make special glass for framing such items of value, it is more expensive...Autographs on baseballs are a problem too, in the old daze, they shellacked them to preserve them....My autographs are in the basement away for direct sunlight...now back to the program allready in progress...
flaco

Location: Fresh Meadows N.Y. Palm Desert C.A. South Windsor C.T.

Postby Leee292 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:58 pm

mary wrote:did you have it hanging on a wall where it got direct sunshine? that would cause this to occur.

No sunlight reaches my studio. While there is a window, it's mostly blocked from sunlight, except for the space below where I can open my window for some fresh air, during times when I'm not recording.

I believe that having the CD cover under glass (in direct contact with glass) has caused the ink of the autographs to rub off the cover. Even though there was no movement of the cover under glass, I think just the contact alone might have had some effect.

It's a shame, because for me it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to get the autographs of all my favorite Poco members (and ex-members) in one place. And I know I'm probably not the only one to receive this specially autographed cover. That's why I originally asked if anyone else had this problem, with this particular CD cover.
Ride the Country!
Leee292

Postby woogie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:38 am

Sunlight does make photo's etc fade, but the autograph on my card has been hidden behind a scan of the original and therefore has not been in the sun but alas it still faded beyond recognition.
I think the ink used is the reason mine faded as it was kinda weak to begin with.
woogie

Postby Leee292 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:45 am

woogie wrote:Sunlight does make photo's etc fade, but the autograph on my card has been hidden behind a scan of the original and therefore has not been in the sun but alas it still faded beyond recognition.
I think the ink used is the reason mine faded as it was kinda weak to begin with.

It looks like Rusty used a thin Sharpie, while the others used a regular Bic ballpoint pen, and those are the ones that have faded.
But I realize the two main factors that have caused the autographs to be wiped off,
the first is time (this was from over 10 years ago), and the glossy paper of a CD cover.
The ballpoint pen just doesn't adhere well to glossy paper, especially after such a long time.

I have school work my mother saved from the late 60's /early 70s, written in pencil on a regular piece of non-glossy notebook paper, and it's all still legible.

Oh well, I did scan it into Photoshop, and was able to slightly darken the autographs. So now at least it's somewhat preserved for when the signatures eventually fade completely. And I keep reminding myself that the MUSIC is the real treasure, and that will be preserved (in some form of media) pretty much forever.
Ride the Country!
Leee292

Postby pocojim » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:39 am

I have the same problem with 'Keeping the Legend Alive'. I have many other signed CDs and LPs framed, behind glass, and none of those have faded. In fact, KTLA is in a 3-way frame with Running Horse and All Fired Up, and those two are still perfect. The only other issue I have is with 'I've got a Reason', which Richie signed in ballpoint pen. That one has faded considerably also.

Jim
pocojim

Postby studiogirl » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:11 pm

woogie wrote:....If I was more PC literate I would add a photo of the card but I don't know how to do it.

Rog, if you email a photo of the card to me, I'll post it here on the forum.

(And while I'm here...how are things going?)
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby woogie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi C, check your mail.
Woogster
woogie

Postby studiogirl » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:34 pm

Here's Woogie's photo of his card from King Hussein....
Attachments
DSCF0622.JPG
DSCF0622.JPG (86.6 KiB) Viewed 5609 times
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby woogie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:30 am

Thanks Carolyn, as you can see all the hand written stuff has gone,But it's still good to have received something personal from a King.
woogie

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion