Dan Fogelberg's Tribute Album

Discuss the band.

Dan Fogelberg's Tribute Album

Postby larrypocofan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:32 pm

Dan Fogelberg's Tribute album is finally getting released this Friday. There are lots of interesting and very good covers of Dan's songs. I've listened to the entire album and for the most part I'm liking what I am hearing. It's really great to hear Fools Gold again and great to hear Richie Furay singing with Jeff Hanna of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Garth does a kick ass version of Phoenix. Lots of good music to listen to here. There are lots of favorite songs and artists missing from the album. I hope Jean Fogelberg decides to follow up this album with another album of Dan's covers.

The album is streaming here: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... bum-stream
larrypocofan

Re: Dan Fogelberg's Tribute Album

Postby StevenT » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:17 pm

At the Colorado Music Hall of Fame concert this past August, Richie's vocal on "Run For The Roses" was immaculate! Dan's version was of course great, but Richie's version gave it a spiritual soulfulness that only Richie could.

Sad to see that some of the artists who contributed the album have since passed away! (Donna Summer, Glenn Frey, Dobie Gray).

Can't wait to get the CD!
StevenT

Postby StevenT » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:01 am

Richie Furay and Jeff Hanna on vocals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWnac1rwz28
StevenT

Postby fanjack12 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:13 pm

Thanks for posting that great rendition - mine is expected to arrive Friday and can't wait!
fanjack12

Postby Jiff » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks for the heads up. He still hasn't had a tribute concert like the one for Nicolette Larson with the same compatriots, and that he participated in with Part Of The Plan.  Thanks to his widow, Jean, for making it happen. Excellent album.  What a great singer-writer-musician.  

Song list:
1. Phoenix - Garth Brooks
2. Nether Lands - Donna Summer (with the original music)
3. Better Change - Michael McDonald
4. Longer - Amy Grant, Vince Gill
5. Same Old Lang Syne - Train
6. Don’t Lose Heart - Dobie Gray
7. Old Tennessee - Fool’s Gold's Denny Henson and Tom Kelly
8. As The Raven Flies - Casey James
9. Sutters Mill - Randy Owen
10. Run For The Roses - The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band with Richie Furay
11. Hard to Say - Boz Scaggs
12. Part of the Plan - The Eagles
13. There’s A Place In The World For A Gambler - Jimmy Buffett
14. Leader Of The Band - Zac Brown Band

I would have liked to have heard from more of his peers, like Jackson Browne, Emmylou, Chris Hillman, Bonnie Raitt, Carole King, James Taylor, CSN, etc, and Don Henley sing Part Of The Plan instead of Joe Walsh.  Vince Gill sounds amazingly like Fogelberg on Longer.  Beautiful.  Yeah, Donna Summer's (RIP) stellar on Nether Lands with Fogelberg's wonderful orchestration.  Title song to one of my favorite albums of his, along with Phoenix.
Jiff

Postby Patm » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:25 pm

On my Christmas "wish" list.
"Don't Stop The Carnival." (You've got to play by Kinja rules.)
Patm

Dan Fogelberg's Christmas Album

Postby Jiff » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:55 pm

If you don't have it, I'd put Fogelberg's The First Christmas Morning album on your wish list too. It has a few familiar tunes plus some seldom-heards and originals. Much of it has a medieval and solemn feel, mostly acoustic. Very special. Unlike most every Christmas album. The sound is similar to the Mediaeval Baebes' Renaissance period music. Though not a Christmas album, their The Rose album and The First Christmas Morning get ample time in my CD carousel this time of year.

"Merry Christmas" from Fogelberg:

Photo is from his The First Christmas Morning CD.

Watch a fire and listen to The First Christmas Morning album and Same Old Lang Syne:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcSrQ3-H66E
Jiff

Postby StevenT » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:58 pm

My favorite Fogelberg album is Exiles (1987), or what Dan referred to as "the divorce album". Interesting how songwriters at their lowest points often write their best material.

Original Firefall front man Rick Roberts, during a solo show earlier this year, made an interesting observation: "Comfort does not foster creativity."

From Exiles, "Hearts In Decline":

Love don't play no favorites
There's no one that's immune
'Cause she changes her demeanor
Like the phases of the moon
There ain't no easy answers
There's only shades of grey
But when it's love or it's survival
I guess you've gotta get away
StevenT

Postby Jiff » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:51 am

He passed away on Dec 16, 2007, ten years ago today. He was 56. I really like this tribute at YT with rare photos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aybqu_2AIK4
Jiff

Dan Fogelberg Tribute on AXS - July 15, 2018

Postby Jiff » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:07 pm

I wasn't aware that there was a tribute concert for Fogelberg in Denver last year (The Rocky Mountain Way). It airs on AXS on Sunday. DVR set. I found out while watching the excellent Save The Barn concert in honor of Levon Helm on AXS.

Oh, I see it's not a *tribute* to Fogelberg, it's a Colorado Hall Of Fame 2017 induction concert.

The Rocky Mountain Way info:
http://www.axs.tv/axstvconcerts/rocky-mountain-way/
Jiff

Next

Return to Poco Discussion