Buffalo Springfield Reunion

Discuss the band.

Buffalo Springfield Reunion

Postby mikec » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:53 am

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen the reunion they had in 86 at Stephen's house. I cant understand why they cant get it together. Two great members have passed away. What a great band. Have been listening to The Box Set lately. The demo of Sad Memory is fantastic. They all start clapping for Richie in the background. I think it would be very profitable as well as thrilling for the many fans that never got the chance to see them. Anyone that would like to see them do a reunion keep this thread alive. Maybe if we get enough hits here as well as other sites maybe they might do it.
mikec

Re: Buffalo Springfield Reunion

Postby joeyg7 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:19 pm

I sure would,not only would be great for Richie but I believe it would also Help Poco get a little Exposure as well.
joeyg7

Postby studiogirl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:31 pm

It ain't gonna happen.... If it were, it would have taken place already or would be in the planning stages and getting publicized all over the place.

I'd like to be wrong, as much as I'd like to think Stephen's voice will come back...but it's gone and so is the window of opportunity for any kind of reunion of the principals. I think Dewey's passing clinched it.

So...at this point, I'd say the Buffalo Springfield is just a memory, and any possibility for a reunion is just a "Sad Memory".
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby MartinG » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:24 pm

mikec wrote: I cant understand why they cant get it together. Two great members have passed away.

I think you've answered your own question here !
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse ? Bruce Springsteen
MartinG

Postby mikec » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:39 am

You guy's dont think the core of the band is still there and thinking about it. Even if it was for just a few dates with a DVD coming out from the show could be huge to the fans and to them and to Poco. I am bringing this up only because I think if they were to do it, it should be soon. So if any of you band members see this please try hard to make it happen! When CSNY did there shows I went back to back weeks in Hartford and New York. This would be for all the fans that never got a chance to see them together. As far as Stephen goes I would say his playing out way's any negative thoughts for me.
mikec

Postby mcdtj » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:58 am

I gotta agree with SG. If Neil Young, Richie Furay and Stephen Stills ever get together again to play as Buffalo Springfield, I would bet they (and maybe their significant others) will be the only ones in attendance. The odds of such a performance being recorded, let alone released to the general public, are about nil.

Your next best option is to attend a Richie Furay Band concert. You may not get to hear Rock and Roll Woman, Bluebird , Mr. Soul, or For What It's Worth, but you may get to hear Sad Memory, Clancy, A Child's Claim to Fame, Go and Say Goodbye or On the Way Home before the show is over.
mcdtj

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:16 am

I think if Young, Stills, Furay and let's not forget Jimmy Messina got back together to play at a Springfield reunion there would be a sell out crowd. I'd want to go. Wouldn't you? Of course the odds of it happening are not very good.

Dr. Galvin
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby studiogirl » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:03 pm

This speculation has gone on for so long that it has probably generated enough pages of internet posts and blogging to bring down a server.

I recall that each of the three original members still with us has at one time or another said basically, "no way". Every so often one of them seems to wax nostalgic and mention it, but no one has ever made any concerted effort to actually begin the process of pulling it together.

Sure, I'd want to go and would...but it is not going to happen unless they all decide to do it, and considering that even when they were together they could never unanimously agree on anything, I would say that with each day that goes by it's less and less likely.

Something I find ironic is that it seems to me that Messina is the most likely to try and orchestrate it, but I have no idea what he thinks about it. I never really think of him as a member of the Springfield...not that he wasn't involved and important, but as many times (dozens) as I saw the Buffalo Springfield in 1966-1968 I never saw him perform on stage. I always think of him as "the guy in the studio, filling in on bass or wherever, turning knobs on the console." Just my take....
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby russpi » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:43 pm

There are recordings out there of the 1986 reunion, everything I've heard is pretty bad. :o Check YouTube. These days, I'd like to see the Furay, Stills and Young, acoustic, just the three of them. Maybe they could play the Bridge Concert. Just an idea. :D
russpi

Postby mikec » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:33 am

That's a good idea. I had a similar thought. Buffalo Springfield Unplugged. What a great show that would be. I have some video of the 86 reunion at Stephen's house. What I heard sounded great. The video is for diehards because it cuts in and out.The audio is good though. Neil just worked a little with Richie on his last studio album as well as Stephen. Neil also did a lot of work on the Box Set. I think it could happen.
mikec

Next

Return to Poco Discussion