Ian Hunter-Alive and for Free in NYC

Discuss the band.

Ian Hunter-Alive and for Free in NYC

Postby TonyNYC » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:03 am

Well hello hello hello...The skies cleared just in time and Carolyn & Jimmy M and a few others on our former site steered me down to Rockefeller Park and I got me one fun and good show.

I don't know what I was listening to when Hunter was on the radio but all I recognized was All The Young Dudes (by the way, what are they carrying?) and Roll Away The Stone (but I didn't remember he used While My Guitar Gently Weeps in it), And I have to say I missed some good good stuff. I guess if I were to describe his music... it felt a lot like Rod Stewart (before he started to suck) & Faces but Ian only has maybe half as good of a voice these days as the Rod I remembered.

He jump started the show with Once Bitten Twice Shy and just about every cut rocked and rolled and rollicked. He started out on acoustic guitar and harmonica and switched to keyboards for maybe the last 3-5 songs with his two other guitarists taking a lot of breaks which I usually hate but last night sounded fine as if they seemed to fit seamlessly in the songs instead of too mere grandstanding.

Other cuts included All The Way From Memphis, Saturday Gigs,Just Another Night, Big Mouth, Soul Of America, Wash Us Away, those two songs I actually knew with some other English guy with a much stronger voice than Ian joining in, Iron And Steel, You Nearly Did Me In and two great songs: Central Park West and this long one that I couldn't figure out its name (but I'm hoping I can find it on this Ian Hunter Anthology I just ordered). So if you still love Rock And Roll, you'll have a good time

Good crowd too and a great place to see a show with your back to the river. If you're around NYC you might want to check out The River To River Festival. A bunch of different venues and a lot of different kinds of music. I know I'm hoping to see Jenny Lewis, Arlo and Richie Havens throughout the summer.

And today I'm cutting work to catch the Mets play the Cardinals-did any of you Cardinal fans (Tony, John, Karen, Ted I'm on your side today)-make the trip over
and Friday night I got me some free Yankee Met tickets.

LET'S GO YANKS
TonyNYC

Re: Ian Hunter-Alive and for Free in NYC

Postby Dar » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:44 pm

wow
Dar

Postby jimmym » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:47 pm

I just knew you would like Ian Hunter. I'm glad you had a good time. Have fun tonight at the Mets & Cardinals game!

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes
jimmym

Postby jerzeypocofan » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:58 am

Ian Hunter Rocks!!! Get all the Mott The Hoople stuff you won't be disappointed
I'm A Wide Open Space Cowboy
I Got Lazy Ways I Got Some Hidden Joy

Fins Up!
jerzeypocofan

Postby TonyNYC » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:26 am

jerzeypocofan wrote:Ian Hunter Rocks!!! Get all the Mott The Hoople stuff you won't be disappointed

I did order an Ian Hunter Anthology as soon as I got home that night...Feel like recommending one Mott The Hoople to start with, Charlie?
TonyNYC

Postby musicclown » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:21 pm

Ian Hunter has a DVD out called Strings Attached. He is joined by a 17 piece string Orchestra from Norway. Young adults in the Orchestra. On guitar in the back is Torstein Flankne leader of the rock group The Stage Dolls. Also on guitar up front is Andy York. A really great dvd done a different way. A powerful tribute song to Mick Ronson called MIchael Picaso is just great. A candid interview from Ian is also on the dvd. Check it out. I haven't checked youtube for video since I'm at work now.

Here are some of his credits in music.
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... qe5ldae~T4
musicclown

Postby musicclown » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:22 pm

Ian Hunter has a DVD out called Strings Attached. He is joined by a 17 piece string Orchestra from Norway. Young adults in the Orchestra. On guitar in the back is Torstein Flankne leader of the rock group The Stage Dolls. Also on guitar up front is Andy York. A really great dvd done a different way. A powerful tribute song to Mick Ronson called MIchael Picaso is just great. A candid interview from Ian is also on the dvd. Check it out. I haven't checked youtube for video since I'm at work now.

Here are some of his credits in music.
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... qe5ldae~T4
musicclown

Return to Poco Discussion