What are you Reading?

Discuss the band.

Re: What are you Reading?

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:33 am

Yes, it was quite good. I love his economy of language and ambiguity of dialogue. Very Hemingwayish although the genre is completely different. McCarthy is perhaps my favorite current writer.

Dr.G
Last edited by DrMichaelGalvin on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:35 am

The Bitter Road To Freedom: A New History of the Liberation of Europe by William I. Hitchcock.

Dr. G
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby Patm » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:11 pm

"McCarthy's Bar: A Journey of Discovery In Ireland"- Pete McCarthy
Just reread this and it's as funny the second time around. Pete McCarthy had a real talent for writing, especially for capturing and describing the people he encountered.
Unfortunately, he passed away at a very young age.
In his honor, "PETE McCARTHY’S RULES OF TRAVEL" posted below:

1. On arrival, buy a local paper and go for a drink.
2. (Ireland) The more bright the primary colours and ancient Celtic symbols outside the pub, the more phony the interior.
3. Never bang on about how wonderful some unspoiled place is, because next time you go there, you won’t be able to get in.
7. Never eat in a restaurant with laminated menus.
8. Never pass a bar that has your name on it.
13. Never ask a British Airways stewardess for another glass of wine until she’s good and ready.
16. However exotic the country, the local radio phone-on quiz induces the traveler a sudden and dramatic downturn in the will to live.
17. Never try to score dope from Hassidic Jews while under the impression they’re Rastafarians.
19. When perusing a menu, never consider anything containing the words “goujon”, “platter” or “cheesy.”
26. Any Italian traveling abroad will be accompanied by and even more glamourous person of the opposite gender.
28. Never get drunk with soldiers.
"Don't Stop The Carnival." (You've got to play by Kinja rules.)
Patm

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:43 pm

Vanished: The 60 Year Search For The Missing Men Of WWII by Wil Hylton

Dr. G
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby MA_nut » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Just finished Graham Nash's Wild Tales. It was pretty good....he gave an honest description of the CSNY circus. He got very political at the end of the book which could turn off some people. But, it's his book to write.

Just starting Linda Ronstadt's book.....just in the parent and grandparent phase which most bios seem to start with these days.

Mike R.
MA_nut

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:26 pm

Tune In: The Beatles: All These Years by Mark Lewisohn

Dr.G
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby RedRiverPatrol » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:58 am

The First Phone Call From Heaven - Mitch Albom

Another terrific outing by the sports writer. If you are familiar with Mitch's work you know they are not sports books and are very well crafted stories written in a style where you can "hear" him reading it.
Dave

Its not the bridges burned that bother me, but the ones that I never crossed. - Look At Me Look At You - Terry Kirkman
RedRiverPatrol

Postby MA_nut » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:50 pm

RedRiverPatrol wrote:The First Phone Call From Heaven - Mitch Albom

Another terrific outing by the sports writer. If you are familiar with Mitch's work you know they are not sports books and are very well crafted stories written in a style where you can "hear" him reading it.

Mitch's books are always fascinating and heart-tugging: The Morey book, The First Five People...., and now the First Phone Call. Unexpected from a sport's writer.

Currently reading Ronstadt's book. Mostly about her times of changes in musical direction and very little about how she selected songs on the albums and, of course, very, very little on her relationships. In other words all the technical stuff about her music and the "gossipy" stuff about her bfs (that stuff I want to know about) are really missing.

Mike R.
MA_nut

Postby kroney » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:10 pm

RedRiverPatrol wrote:The First Phone Call From Heaven - Mitch Albom

I got this one as well Dave. Haven't started yet.
With courage, strength, faith and hope we will face one day at a time.
kroney

Postby DaddyMc » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:37 pm

I am still reading the Bonhoeffer book, a great read. After that, the next up is Creole Belle by James Lee Burke. Burke is easily my favorite living mystery/crime writer. I say "living" because Raymond Chandler is my all time favorite. Chandler's wit and use of language are amazing.
But Burke is a real treat. He can write hard boiled dialogue with the best, but his poetic descriptions of the bayou in the Dave Robicheaux series are so beautiful that you can see, taste, and smell the surroundings with absolute clarity. Like many series there are great books, and there are good books, but at least there are no outright duds. His characters are wonderful, the dialogue entertaining, and his set details perfect. I started the Robicheaux series with the third book, Black Cherry Blues.It is classic. From there I went back to the beginning and then forward. Off the top of my head some of the stand outs are Black Cherry Blues, Burning Angel, Dixie City Jam, Cadillac Jukebox, Purple Cane Road, Sunset Limited. But you can't go wrong with Burke. He has a couple of series going, but the Robicheaux series is the best. Set in New Iberia Parish, it follows the life of Dave Robicheaux, a Parish homicide detective, and recovering alcoholic Vietnam vet who is prone to visions/delusions, and who is also prone to violence. The bad guys are some of the worst psychopaths to traipse through the Louisiana bayous.

If you haven't read Burke you are missing out.

Daddy Mc
DaddyMc

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion