Musical Insturment??

Discuss the band.

Musical Insturment??

Postby DeaconCarl » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:23 pm

OK, I am going to test your knowledge. I was watching a Simon and Garfunkel reunion concert DVD. There was a guy playing an instrument that sounded a little like a pedal steel, but he appeared to be strumming the air over the board with a pick. There must have been strings there that I could not see. Does anybody know what that instrument is called? I have searched my guitar books for a photo, but did not find one.

Thanks,
DeaconCarl

Re: Musical Insturment??

Postby studiogirl » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:41 pm

I bet it was an autoharp. John Sebastian held his upward, kind of hugging it. If it's on someone's lap, it might be hard to see in a video.

Just a guess....
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Bogeyfire » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:45 pm

I've seen that! He is a fantastic musician. As I recall, he played that thing on "The Boxer". I have the DVD which includes a guest appearance from the Everly Bros. But, I failed your test. I have no clue what the instrument is, but I don't think he has contact with any strings. Logic tells me it is a magnetic field of some sort. Very cool!

btw- I love that concert. I will have to watch again soon. It was an early 2000's reuniting in Chicago. The musicianship, harmony, songwriting, and camaraderie all came together in that concert. In my mind, it was their "Keeping The Legend Alive". The DVD/CD was called "Old Friends Live On Stage". It was truly excellent, and I say that fully aware that there is a snobby rock persona that dis's these icons of folk. This is an exceptionally good album!
:)
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby studiogirl » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:53 pm

Or maybe a dulcimer? But I think autoharp...because of the strumming with a pick.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Bogeyfire » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:04 am

studiogirl wrote:Or maybe a dulcimer? But I think autoharp...because of the strumming with a pick.

Nope. Its an electonic Star Trek kind of instrument. I'm sending you an email from YouSendIt. If you don't get it by 11:00pm Saturday, check your spam filter.

"The Boxer" at about the 2:15min mark. (Other goodies too!)
:D
Bogeyfire

Postby studiogirl » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:12 am

Okay, then...I didn't gather this was it, but maybe a theremin (Beach Boys "Good Vibrations")? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin

I probably won't still be up at 11:00...but I'll check in the morning.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Bogeyfire » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:15 am

DeaconCarl wrote: he appeared to be strumming the air over the board with a pick. There must have been strings there that I could not see. Does anybody know what that instrument is called?
Thanks,

DeaconCarl, Did it sound kind of like someone playing the saw? I saw Jimmy Page play the same thing once! :roll: Anyway, that is an awesome concert. It is fresh and nostalgic at the same time.
:)
Bogeyfire

Postby studiogirl » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:19 am

Got the email, Mark...thanks. Will download on a different computer.

In the meantime, I'm pretty sure this is what the mystery instrument is:

(From Wikipedia...more clear description than I could make.)The theremin is unique among musical instruments in that it is played without physical contact. The musician stands in front of the instrument and moves his or her hands in the proximity of two metal antennas. The distance from one antenna determines frequency (pitch), and the distance from the other controls amplitude (volume). Most frequently, the right hand controls the pitch and the left controls the volume, although some performers reverse this arrangement. Some low cost theremins use a conventional, knob operated volume control and have only the pitch antenna.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Bogeyfire » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:40 am

Yup! That has to be it.

On another note, S&G do an outstanding and touching version of "Kathy's Song". I get a little emotional over that one. Although "Kathy" is never mentioned in the lyrics, my heart always reflects on my deceased wife, Kathy.

"And there, but for the grace of you, go I"

She lives forever in me through this song.
Bogeyfire

Postby AlexInRI » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:19 am

Paul Simon's work with Art Garfunkle was some of the earliest music I played on guitar. I once played a prison gig as a duo with a girl from my band (she landed the gig which paid well but was scary). She broke a string and told me to do a song on my own. I started playing America, the opening lines were "Let us be lovers we'll marry our fortunes together"
They started booing and yelling at me, calling me names and saying they wanted to hear the girl sing. I couldn't have picked a worse song to sing in that situation. If memory serves I played the entire song but my hands were shaky the rest of the afternoon. Not enough guards around in my opinion.

Aztec Two Step (anyone remember them) are now touring around New England playing nothing but Simon and Garfunkle songs.

The Theramin was a pretty cool sounding instrument that never caught on. It was probably because synthesizers made them obsolete. There was another device that you could apply to an electric guitar that would make a similar sustaining sound.
AlexInRI

Next

Return to Poco Discussion