What are you reading on KINDLE?

Discuss the band.

What are you reading on KINDLE?

Postby GeorgeRLawrence » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:52 am

Just when you thought the number of all the "What are you.....?" threads was going to be stable!!!! I need some good suggestions for books that are on Kindle. For all of you non kindle readers out there, not all books are available from Amazon in the kindle format.
GeorgeRLawrence

Re: What are you reading on KINDLE?

Postby pogonut » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:55 am

Wow, I can't believe I'm doing this cos I think I might get blacklisted..I'm sure GeorgeL Is a moderator... You know I'm joking right.. .? But what about this one, George...
http://www.amazon.com/Drums-For-Dummies ... B003S9VQVW
Len
My mind was young and then it grew..
pogonut

Postby whofannj » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:14 am

nothing. It's too damn small. :lol:
I want to change my name to Pocofan61, I just don't know how :(
whofannj

Postby mcdtj » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:56 am

What types of books do you enjoy, George? Biographies? History? Science Fiction?

I am a big fan of Alan Furst. He writes espionage novels set in Europe during the 1930s and early days of WWII. Four of his novels are available for Kindle. I like them all, but here are two I can recommend highly.

The hero of Dark Voyage is the captain of a French freighter. His ship is at sea when the Nazis invade and occupy France. Unable to return home, he and the crew decide to sail to Britain, where they are pressed into service by British Intelligence to run arms to the French resistance, eavesdrop on German military radio communications, etc.

His latest book, Mission to Paris, chronicles the adventures of a German actor who emigrates to the USA in the early 1930s, becomes a "B list" star, and then goes to Paris to make a movie in the summer of 1938, about a year before the outbreak of WWII. While in Paris, he is approached by the German Propaganda Ministry and asked to make a film in Germany. He is against doing so, but accepts the invitation after the US State Department asks him to take the job. They want him to evaluate whether or not the Propaganda Ministry and German military are preparing the nation for war in the near future.
mcdtj

Postby Tabasco » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:11 am

On Kindle, recently I've read ...

Micro.....Michael Crichton
The Client .....John Grisham
Pinheads and Patriots.....Bill O'Reilly
Wildfire.....Nelson DeMille
Orange County Choppers.....Teutul
A Time to Kill.....John Grisham
East of Eden.....John Steinbeck
Lennon Revealed.....Larry Kane

And Recently on Hardback (probably available on Kindle):
I am Ozzy....Ozzy Osbourne
Tabasco

Postby Cardinals » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:50 am

Liberty and Tyranny--Mark Levin ............Excellent
Ghost Recon------Tom Clancy
“I’m from the government, and I’m here to help.” Ronald Reagan called those “the nine most terrifying words in the English language” -- and with good reason.
Cardinals

Postby nutsince69 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:02 pm

Hey George: I really enjoyed "Public Enemies - America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-1934". Great book about Dillinger, Bonnie and Clyde, Machine Gun Kelly, Baby Face Nelson, the Barkers, and Pretty Boy Floyd. The rise of criminal activity associated with these gangs gave birth to the FBI, and the infamous J. Edgar Hoover. I really enjoyed it. Not certain if available on Kindle. I'm still a "book" person.

Regards,
Denny
nutsince69

Postby high and dry in n.y. » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi George, we've had this discussion awhile back about the pros and cons of Kindle vs. printed books, and like any other avid reader, I love the smell,texture and feel of an old book,but damn, this is so easy and convenient to travel with,plus you can order and read almost anything with a mere tap of the finger and it doesn't get any easier than that.Hey, how's that for a run on sentence all you english majors out there! Anyway,I've read quite a few since I received my first Kindle[got the new Kindle Fire as a Xmas present,you don't need an ipad since this does everything but make your bed for ya'] and here are some ideas; For what it's worth,story of the Buffalo Springfield-John Einerson and Richie Furay
Neil Young-Waging heavy peace[this is one wacky book man!]
Life-Keith Richards, what a creep!
the Dubliners- James Joyce,tough read,barely got through it.
Mr. Tamborine Man,Gene Clark story,-John Einerson again.
Desperados,the roots of country rock-John Burne
War-Sebastian Junger,great book about a unit defending an outpost in Afghanistan,was made into a movie,very good,Junger spent time entrenched with these young men,some of them barely out of their teens.
the Westies,inside N.Y.'s Irish Mob-T.J. English, SCARY. they loosely adapted this into the movie State of Grace with Sean Penn and Gary Oldman,should have stuck to the original book.
Killing Kennedy-Bill O'Reilly
No country for Old Men-Cormac McCarthy-one of the most original villians you will ever read about,great book and a great movie by the Coen bros.
I could go on George,but that's just a small sample for you to roll around,happy hunting.
high and dry in n.y.

Postby GeorgeRLawrence » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:28 pm

It's ironic you bring that book up. Years ago I tried to get the commission to write that book for Dummies but someone beat me to the punch. It's a good book.

pogonut wrote:Wow, I can't believe I'm doing this cos I think I might get blacklisted..I'm sure GeorgeL Is a moderator... You know I'm joking right.. .? But what about this one, George...
http://www.amazon.com/Drums-For-Dummies ... B003S9VQVW
Len
GeorgeRLawrence

Postby duffyb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:06 pm

My reading intake is up enormously since I started using the Kindle app or iBooks on my iPhone and iPad (which IS better than my wife's Kindle). I like actual books but ebooks are great for reading in bed, just the right light. Always have trouble getting comfortable and the right lighting with books in bed. And of course you always have your book in your pocket with the iPhone.

Just finished all of Stewart Neville's books-mostly a Protestant's view of Ireland and the post troubles era of the past decade.

Just started McKinty's trilogy of the troubles in the seventies from a Catholic's perspective-which is more my side of the fence. Both authors are of the crime/detective genre.

For laughs, but good writing, I also finished all of Jonathan Trooper. Kind of a 30's something Richard Russo. Several books are in the works as movies.
duffyb

Next

Return to Poco Discussion