Yes (somewhat Poco related)

Discuss the band.

Yes (somewhat Poco related)

Postby bluelarryblue » Wed May 06, 2015 6:13 pm

In 1972 Poco did a lot of shows with YES. We saw this package in Nashville and I think Jim Croce was the opening act. I was so young and naive I kept wondering what that smoke and that pungent smell was all about. Ah, the 70's.

But I digress...if any of you saw those shows, they were quite something. Croce was just amazing with his songs and stories. Poco was really great. Paul was settling in at that point ; Ritchie, George, Tim,were rocking and Rusty of course was just dazzling with his licks and fills.

Then Yes came out and they were at the peak of their breakout. Chris Squire was amazing playing bass like a lead instrument. Steve Howe on guitar was awesoms. Rick Wakeman was a madman on keys. I don't remember the drummer's name but good as well. And Jon Anderson was doing his thing and the whole thing was just transporting.
(Or maybe it was the contact high!)

Anyway, RHINO records is releasing a boxed set of seven Yes shows from that series of concerts. I read a review of it in Guitar Afficianado and they were raving about the level of technical restoration invovled. If you are a Yes fan, you would probably want that. I'm thinking about getting it just for the nostalgia factor.
bluelarryblue

Re: Yes (somewhat Poco related)

Postby mcdtj » Wed May 06, 2015 9:15 pm

I've heard Rusty tell about a newspaper review of one of these Poco/Yes concerts that he framed and hung at his home. The headline of the review reads,"Poco? YES! Yes? NO!"
mcdtj

Postby bluelarryblue » Fri May 08, 2015 2:35 pm

Tim - I remember thinking at the time that was a rather unusual package. I heard Rusty say once that Poco and Yes had the same management and /or booking agent at the time so that's how it happened. As "weird" a combination is it was, I thought it was cool at the time. I wasn't a Yes fan per se, but I did buy the 8-track with Roundabout on it and maybe one other.

Also saw Poco shows at that time with "It's A Beautiful Day" and "Quicksilver Messenger Service". I'm sure all those hippies were happy to get the hell out of Nashville at that time. Not exactly the cultural mixing pot it is today. Seems to me Poco played here about every six months from '72 - '74. I think last show they did in that time frame was out at the Nashville Fairgrounds in between Waylon Jennings and Leon Russell. Rusty turned his PSG up on it's side and used his folding chair for a slide bar. Haven't seen him do that lately ! LOL !
bluelarryblue

Postby SoCalFrank » Fri May 22, 2015 7:57 am

On a related note, founding Yes member Chris Squire is battling leukemia and will miss his first tour with the band since they formed in 1968. Former Yes guitarist, Billy Sherwood, will strap on the bass for this summer tour. Big prayers going out to Chris Squier. I've always related him to Rusty, as being the only member of Yes to be in every version of the band.
Could it ever happen again
Time awaiting the answer then
Lost and found in the city, New Orleans
SoCalFrank

Quicksilver and Poco

Postby Jiff » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:18 pm

bluelarryblue wrote:Also saw Poco shows at that time with "It's A Beautiful Day" and "Quicksilver Messenger Service". I'm sure all those hippies were happy to get the hell out of Nashville at that time. Not exactly the cultural mixing pot it is today. Seems to me Poco played here about every six months from '72 - '74. I think last show they did in that time frame was out at the Nashville Fairgrounds in between Waylon Jennings and Leon Russell. Rusty turned his PSG up on it's side and used his folding chair for a slide bar. Haven't seen him do that lately ! LOL !

I was looking through Quicksilver Messenger Service's concert history and saw that Poco played with them on "May 4, 1972 at University Hall at the University Of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA (with Poco)". I really like QMS's untitled album they toured that year.

And the following day QMS with Pure Prairie League:
"May 5, 1972 Sunshine In, Ashbury Park, NJ (supported by Pure Prairie League)"

Sorry that Quicksilver's Gary Duncan passed away last year. Last time I saw him was in 2007 when QMS, Jefferson Starship, It's A Beautiful Day and Tom Constantine toured the Summer Of Love Revisit (40th Anniversary).
My photos (if using phone, tap i in circle for info):
https://flic.kr/s/aHsiQVNpzw

Speaking of QMS and Jefferson Starship, I saw David Freiberg on the Rock & Romance Cruise in February. The one Poco played on in 2019. He's 81, and sounded pretty damn good, sharing lead and tandem vocals with Cathy Richardson. He says he won't stop touring until he can't. He loves it.
My Rock & Romance 2020 report (might have to scroll up to first post to get to report):
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mtheads/rock-romance-cruise-2020-t2505.html
Jiff

Return to Poco Discussion