Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Discuss the band.

Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Postby germanpoco » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:44 am

The Ozark Mountain Daredevils are releasing a new album (CD) "Off The Beaten Path".
A new website is coming soon...

The new Tom Rush album is really great, John Prine's new album seems to be awesome too...great start for 2018...
germanpoco

OMD, Larry Lee, Randle Chowning

Postby Jiff » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Big fan. The album is not very well advertised and I couldn't find anywhere to buy it. Found a photo of it and you can listen to Down By The River at their Facebook page. It's a typical OMD upbeat tune with harmonica as the accent.

I don't think they had released an album of new songs since 13 in 1997. The only one of their albums I don't like much. Just a couple Larry Lee songs on it. I guess the performance band has nine members, but neither Lee or Randle Chowning among them or on Off The Beaten Path.

Besides their solo albums, Chowning and Lee released a couple albums as Beyond Reach: Waiting For The Sun in 2005 and Further in 2014. Okay, but nothing compared to the OMD albums. Lee was also in the Vinyl Kings, a Nashville band that played Beatles-like music. They released two albums: A Little Trip and Time Machine. Pretty good.

It kills me that Lee wound up producing albums by less interesting bands than OMD, especially Alabama, a band way more popular than OMD. From the Beyond Reach web page: "Having sung background vocals on several Jimmy Buffett records, in 1986 Jimmy enlisted Larry to tour with his Coral Reefer Band. “I later established a production partnership with Buffett tour mate Josh Leo, leading to a new career as a record producer for artists such as Alabama, Restless Heart, Juice Newton and many others.”"

I guess Lee and Chowning have moved back to Springfield from Nashville.
Jiff

Re: Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Postby germanpoco » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:19 pm

The new album will be available through the new website. At the moment it is only sold at Kaleidoscope (a shop in Springfield, no mail order). New Era Production has nothing to do with it...it's a self release.
germanpoco

Ozark Mountain Daredevils Backstage

Postby Jiff » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:46 pm

Just watched the OMD Backstage documentary stream. Very good, except no Larry Lee input. Might be only available today, July 1, at Ozark Public Television.

Looks like their 50 year tour doesn't leave the Midwest. Like Supe said regarding travel after A&M stopped paying for theirs, "I don't get paid to play, I get paid to travel".

Stream:
https://www.optv.org/shows/documentaries/the-ozark-mountain-daredevilsbackstage/
Jiff

Return to Poco Discussion