Nashville Record shops

Discuss the band.

Nashville Record shops

Postby bassman » Mon May 14, 2018 10:18 pm

Hey everyone, been a while since I've posted anything here. Heading to Nashville for a couple days very soon and looking for recommendations for used vinyl stores and great entertainment. Staying in Nashville East if that helps and yes we will have a car so we are mobile, thanks.
bassman

Nashville

Postby Jiff » Sat May 19, 2018 6:58 pm

Not much help, but I went to Huntsville Alabama and Nashville back in 2007. Didn't check out records stores. Got bit by bed bugs at the Comfort Inn, almost downtown Nashville. Walked to town from there, but there looked to be plenty of parking. Broadway has bars with live music almost all day and night. 3rd & Lindsley looked to be a popular place for upper level bands.

My report from 2007 in my blog:
Got back from 9 days of work and play in Huntsville and Nashville. Needless to say an excellent music scene in Nashville, and Huntsville really rocks for a town of 160,000. At Huntsville's historic town center there are 6 or 7 live music venues with atleast 5 hosting performers on a Thursday, including one with performers at its outdoor stage 7 days a week. All live, well attended and no DJ stuff at any place. Also attended their monthly art walk, excellent with several performers..

Went out 3 nights in Nashville. Incredible, in a live music party all day every day sense with superb players. Music starts early afternoon and goes late in the many bars on Broadway and 2nd Avenue. Talk about character, you can spend hours gazing at the memorabilia in these old saloons. No cover charge and the bands are not paid, just tips.
Highlights in Nashville were Stacie Collins with Dan Baird (GA Satellites) and the guitarist from Jason And The Scorchers in her band at 3rd & Lindsley. She's a feisty blues/roots rocker harmonica player.
The historic Ryman Auditorium, the former home of the Grand Ole Opry is in the heart of the party district and I had to check it out. Caught Bright Eyes there with his big band of white suited musicians and elaborate flowered set. Openers and joining him were Gillian Welch and David Rawlings and roots-rockers Oakley Hall, the band I liked most of the three. The Ryman is a former church (huge) with pews intact. As an example of how advanced the east is in drinking rights: get yourself a 24 ouncer and take it to your pew, no problem. They looked at me funny when I asked if I could.
Another memorable group was Jypsi at Layla's on Broadway, a roots-grass band with a rhythm section and four very un-Nashvillian siblings out front:

And if the bar hoppers and tourists weren't enough, three blocks of the six lane Broadway were blocked to traffic for the evangilist Luis Palau festival with the likes of Leann Rimes and Steven Curtis Chapman performing on their stadium sized stage. Quite a juxtaposition.
Jiff

Return to Poco Discussion