History of the Eagles

Discuss the band.

History of the Eagles

Postby Denbo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:44 am

I have watched this documentary on Amazon three times now. Some real interesting insights in to the band and its members. While many of us Poconuts have at least some resentment of the Eagles, you can't deny their place in history. They did put out some really good music too.

I like the documentary because it has several Poco references, the most obvious being the Randy Meisner/Tim Schmit pipeline. They do play a little Poco music in the background, that being Here We Go Again and Rose of Cimarron.

Two things jumped out at me. If the Eagles had sung A Goof Feelin' to Know, it would have been a megahit just because it came from them. Second, I Can't Tell You Why would have been a megahit for Poco had Tim stayed.

Tim was originally with the Eagles just from 78-80 before the band broke up. He jumped ship from Poco as the Eagles were starting to implode. Glen Frey, who respected Poco, kind of gave them a back-handed slap when Tim came aboard. Their manager didn't think Tim would come, but in as many words he basically said that Tim would come to leave a band where he "was making $250/week" to join them. Of course Tim was doing better than that, but it shows what a huge corporation the Eagles were.

The documentary is about two hours and some change, but for those of us who were defined by the music and culture of the '70's, it is a must see.

Comments?
Denbo

Re: History of the Eagles

Postby wheland » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:02 pm

I enjoyed the documentary but I recall it as being in two parts equaling almost 4 hours. I could be wrong.

I am a fan of both groups although more so of Poco and it's members than the Eagles. I don't see why one can't enjoy both groups.

Life is often unfair. It is puzzling that the Eagles while releasing actually so little music could be so much more popular than Poco. Blame it on many factors but not on lack of good music. Bad management, promotion and timing are more a reason for one rising to the top.

There are a series of reviews in chronological order of all of Poco's albums ( currently up to Head Over Heels) which includes a recurring observation that while many of Poco's songs were very well done that the ran too long for the AM market that the Eagles got much more exposure on. FM where things could stretch out more was OK but it did not mean commercial monetary success like the AM Top 40. If you are on FB you can join the 50 Years of Poco group to see them or here is a link to the latest chapter # 9 Head Over Heels
https://patricknsworld.wordpress.com/20 ... ver-heels/

You can access the others by using the links at the bottom of this chapter. The reviews are very well thought out and not overly fawning.

I am currently listening to the entire catalogue of Eagles cds including Live but not any compilation cds. There is almost no filler on the first 5 albums but after that they start to slip a bit.

I've never subscribed to the hate the Eagles camp or the camp that criticizes Tim for leaving ( but usually does not give Richie or Jim much grief for doing basically the same thing). There are only two constants concerning Poco- Rusty and change. I think for the most part the change was good- or at the very least not bad. Different can often be better. Change can bring about growth that might not have happened without the change.

Just some of my random thoughts as you asked for.

Dennis
wheland

Postby Denbo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:01 am

I think the second two hour documentary follows the band from 1994 when they reunited, until present day.

The documentary I saw also said that the Eagles second album, Desperado, "bombed". I like that album a lot. Randy's Certain Kind of Fool is my favorite track, and a hidden gem from my perspective.

I enjoyed the band through The Long Run, but you could tell in that album they were losing momentum and were burned out.

I did get such a kick with Joe Walsh's interviews in the documentary. He really is a funny guy. He said that when he and Felder were both in the band, they really played off each other. Felder would try to our-do Joe, and then Joe would say "oh, yeah, well watch this".
Denbo

Postby Patm » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:58 pm

Glad to see that Don Henley decided to keep touring. They have an impressive body of work and it deserves to be heard live. (If only their tickets were a bit less expensive.)

I've always been a fan of the music created by both Poco and The Eagles. Of the two however, Poco definitely the better live band. It was true back in the 70's and still true today.
"Don't Stop The Carnival." (You've got to play by Kinja rules.)
Patm

Eagles, Vince Gill

Postby Jiff » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Might as well keep touring when you can fill up baseball stadium, like they did at Safeco Field here in Seattle. There's always naysayers that say certain old bands should hang it up, but why, if you enjoy it and people come to see you. And if you need the dough.

Assuming Vince Gill is still not playing lead guitar with the Eagles, I wonder why Henley recruited him, except maybe to increase the gate. He sings some harmony and lead on Take It to the Limit, Tequila Sunrise, Lyin’ Eyes and New Kid In Town. Schmit could have done that.

Except when they got just Dave Mason, I understand why Fleetwood Mac has twice recruited two guys to replace Lindsey Buckingham. One for guitar and one for voice. Rick Vito and Billy Burnette in 1987 and Mike Campbell and Neil Finn this year.

Our area finally got a major annual tribute show this year. The second annual Vets Aid Concert hosted by Walsh, with Henley, James Taylor, Chris Stapleton and Haim at what will be the refurbished Tacoma Dome. I'm going. Should be interesting.
Jiff

Return to Poco Discussion