Postby rusty » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:24 pm

rusty

Re: Welcome Lex Browning

Postby rusty » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:28 pm

rusty

Postby rusty » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:30 pm

Lex's Bio
Lex Browning was born and raised Maysville, Ky, a small town on the Ohio River where the Browning family has lived since 1820.  As a child he fell in love with the local bluegrass and country music being performed and at age 7 successfully begged enough to get a guitar for his birthday. He and his brother Christopher were performing on local radio stations by the time Lex was 9. By age 11 he had wheedled a banjo out of his grandmother and soon incorporated that into the family band.  The family sang at home and at church and grade school and after hearing Bob Dylan and the Beatles Lex was writing his own songs.
  He attended Reed College in Oregon where he was far more interested in playing music than studying so he picked up mandolin and fiddle.  A year off spent performing in Gatlinburg Tennessee convinced him to become a professional musician. Gigs with many local bands soon followed as did a stint as fiddle player for Queen Ida the zydeco accordionist for whom he wrote the song “C’est Moi (which has been featured in the Scottish independent film, “Road to Lafayette); then came the move to Nashville where he was member of the band Great Plains, a staff songwriter, session musician and fiddle player for Tanya Tucker, Pam Tillis, and Trace Adkins.  He has also worked with  Kenny Rogers, the Nelson twins, Quarterflash, and many other musicians of note.
  Returning to Portland, Lex quickly resumed work with his old friends from the Holy Modal Rounders (featured In the film Easy Rider)and continues working today with the Freak Mt Ramblers, Jenny Conlee-Drizos and Troy Stewart of the Decemberists and as a solo singer/songwriter. He was a founding member of the Trail Band and has appeared on countless albums as well as his own solo venture “Good Rain”.  A new project is in the works.
Lex and his family have moved to Tucson where he performs with Winfield Flatpicking champion Peter McLaughlin, The Tusconics, the Sonoran Dogs, Greg Morton and his own solo show every Friday night at La Cocina
Update: Lex is honored and excited to join Poco with the great Rusty Young, Jack Sundrud and Rick Lonow 
rusty

Postby Bogeyfire » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:52 pm

Hot diggity!

Poco's longevity is a Legend. Welcome to the nut-house Lex!

Band members come and go. Loved them all. I'm sure Michael will shine wherever he lands, but new blood in Poco? I'm intrigued and excited already.

Lex, you have big shoes to fill. I can't wait to see your fingerprint on the Poco brand.

Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby Grahame » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:24 am

So what has happened to Michael Webb after 8 years with the band? I was hoping we might have had a bit more continuity with the band members, but I suppose I should have known better with Poco!
Grahame

Postby marc » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:28 pm

If you’re interested to hear what Lex Browning sounds like there is a solo album of his called “Good Rain” from 2009 available on Spotify.

Marc-
marc

Postby mcdtj » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:38 pm

Eagles tapped Poco for replacements twice, and Poco tapped Great Plains for replacements, twice.

Nice to have a band member living in Tucson, too. Lex may find himself hosting rehearsals in January... and February...and March...and April.
mcdtj

Postby pocofan49 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Welcome Lex. Can't wait to meet you next week. Keeping a great band great.
pocofan49

Postby studiogirl » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:41 am

mcdtj wrote:Eagles tapped Poco for replacements twice, and Poco tapped Great Plains for replacements, twice.

Nice to have a band member living in Tucson, too. Lex may find himself hosting rehearsals in January... and February...and March...and April.

Tucson...not very far from Borrego Springs... Will be set up for a rehearsal there in March.
;)

Welcome, Lex! Looking forward to a new Poco experience!!
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby mcdtj » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:23 pm

Another hoedown in Borrego Springs, the XVth annual.

What a GREAT tradition!!!

Candy and I will be there, SG.
mcdtj

Next

Return to Poco Discussion