40 Years Ago This Month.....

Discuss the band.

40 Years Ago This Month.....

Postby StevenT » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:25 am

The all-time personal favorite album of myself and others, Legend, appeared in record stores.

I believe that the majority of the songs on this LP all could have been hits, had they been released as singles.

A collection of 9 brilliant tracks that I probably will never tire of listening to:

"When they start up their engines they steal my heart away."
"Dancing in the falling rain..... laughing like a child again."
"When you're burning the bridges behind you..... smoke can begin to blind you."
"Please don't wake me, don't shake me..... if it's only just a dream."

StevenT

Re: 40 Years Ago This Month.....

Postby mcdtj » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:59 am

It is interesting to look back at the songs on Legend, and also interesting to look back at the composition of the band: a whole new rhythm section and full-time keyboardist to go along with Rusty and Paul on guitars and vocals.

Moving forward a few years...

Had Paul not left when he did, the band in the mid-to-late 00s would have had GeorgeL on drums, Jack on bass, Michael on keyboards along with Rusty and Paul on guitars and vocals. It's a shame this version of the band never played together. This rhythm section was stronger than the one on Legend, imo, and definitely stronger vocally and songwriting-wise in Jack. Michael is hard to top on keyboards. Ah, what could have been, but just wasn't quite...
mcdtj

Postby bigpocofan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:58 am

An album that I sort of liked when released but just too different than prior stuff to fully embrace...but over time it has grown on me, along with the big 3 songs even the "lessers" have individual merits...
emagina.com

Imagine the enigma of meaning.
bigpocofan

Postby Patm » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:06 pm

Was so great to see a Poco album climb the charts and also generate two hit singles. One of their strongest album, each track was a standout.

Also the album containing my vote for one of Poco's greatest songs,"Legend".
"Don't Stop The Carnival." (You've got to play by Kinja rules.)
Patm

Return to Poco Discussion