Hoedown XV -- may be the last one (but it wasn't)

Discuss the band.

Hoedown XV -- may be the last one (but it wasn't)

Postby studiogirl » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:25 pm

Okay, Hoedowners... it's official:

March 28-31, 2019 -- "Hoedown XV"

...at the usual place (Palm Canyon RV and Hotel Resort in Borrego Springs) with the usual suspects, and maybe some newbies!!

I won't say this could be the last time, but I won't say it isn't. So, if you've ever wanted to kick up your heels with the 'Nuts, you should probably make it to this one. I may retire from organizing hoedowns after this year.

I've been told accommodations are going fast and some places are almost fully booked, so make your reservation soon. If anyone's interested in sharing a house, Drummer Steve is looking around. Ideally, a three-bedroom split three ways. If this is of interest to you, let me know ASAP.

We will be in Meeting Room #1 again, the smaller room with the full kitchen. You can cook and save money by not dining in restaurants. I have plenty of kitchen stuff in the RV for anyone looking to use the kitchen.
Last edited by studiogirl on Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Re: Hoedown XV -- may be the last one

Postby mcdtj » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:04 am

Always a fun time in the desert. Lots of things to do, too, outside of music room #1: lounging by the pool, hiking at Ansa Borrego State Park, exploring the quaint nooks and crannies of Borrego Springs, checking out the 100+ world-class metal sculptures scattered around town and in the nearby environs, taking a short ride to Julian to look for for antiques and local craftworks.

As for me, I intend to play guitar until my fingers bleed and sing until my I have no voice left.
mcdtj

Postby studiogirl » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:31 pm

mcdtj wrote:Always a fun time in the desert. Lots of things to do, too, outside of music room #1: lounging by the pool, hiking at Ansa Borrego State Park, exploring the quaint nooks and crannies of Borrego Springs, checking out the 100+ world-class metal sculptures scattered around town and in the nearby environs, taking a short ride to Julian to look for for antiques and local craftworks.

As for me, I intend to play guitar until my fingers bleed and sing until my I have no voice left.

Yay!!! You definitely understand what it's all about!! See you in a couple of months, Tim!
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby MartinG » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:33 am

the LAST Hoedown ? Say it isn't so ! Can't make it this year ...
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse ? Bruce Springsteen
MartinG

Postby studiogirl » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:30 pm

MartinG wrote:the LAST Hoedown ? Say it isn't so ! Can't make it this year ...

Hi Martin! I'm remaining uncommitted about the future. Fifteen hoedowns is a good run. I started the hoedowns so I would have other musicians to play with, and it worked. Now, I'm in a couple of bands and play all the time, so the original reason for doing it has been fulfilled. However, the annual get-together with friends from all over is always a fun event to look forward to, so while I may "retire" the hoedown as we've known it, I will always be interested in getting together with friends to make some music. If anyone wants to put something together, I'll be there if my schedule permits.

For now...Hoedown XV is scheduled for March 28-31 at the usual location (Palm Canyon RV Resort and Hotel in Borrego Springs).

Martin, if you plan a trip to the US, I'll make sure there's some sort of hoedown/get-together/beer drinking party!!
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby mcdtj » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:23 am

Candy just left for the airport. This year, she's opted to visit our kids and grandkids while I am at hoedown.

Getting ready for the trip today. I'm flying out of West Palm tomorrow morning, due into San Diego at Noon. Should be in Borrego Springs around 3:30 - 4 pm, if all goes as planned.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. Let the music play!!!!
mcdtj

Postby mcdtj » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:45 am

Well, as usual, we had a blast! The desert rolled out the red (and white, and yellow) carpet of a wildflower "superbloom" to welcome us. Millions of painted ladies (butterflies) were there, too.

We even had a good-sized audience for a couple of hours on Saturday night as we played through our catalog of old favorites and added a few new tunes to the mix. Missed some old friends who couldn't be there, but hope to see them next year.
mcdtj

Postby studiogirl » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:40 am

mcdtj wrote:Well, as usual, we had a blast! The desert rolled out the red (and white, and yellow) carpet of a wildflower "superbloom" to welcome us. Millions of painted ladies (butterflies) were there, too.

We even had a good-sized audience for a couple of hours on Saturday night as we played through our catalog of old favorites and added a few new tunes to the mix. Missed some old friends who couldn't be there, but hope to see them next year.

Seems like every hoedown is different from the last one...and that was true this year. A small group, mostly musicians, made it a different but still great weekend. The several folks who came by on Saturday added just the right energy.

While I made noise about this possibly being the last hoedown, it wasn't. If I don't feel like organizing it next year, there are a few (Tim, for one) who have offered to take over getting it going. So, it appears there will be a Hoedown XVI in 2020. I'll be there, with plenty of gear, no matter who puts it together.

Please think about joining us next year...the more, the merrier!! Probable dates are March 26-29.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Return to Poco Discussion