Amazon Prime

Discuss the band.

Amazon Prime

Postby Denbo » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:12 pm

Any Amazon Prime subscribers out there?

There are some great rock documentaries on Prime. I just watched one that was done by Randy Bachmann of BTO fame. He sits on a stool and tells how he got the ideas for many of his hit songs, even going back to the Guess Who days. After he tells a story about a song, he and his band play it. Excellent music and interesting stories.

I just did a search on Prime entering Poco. There is a one hour video with Rusty Young, talking about the band all the way back to the formation. No video in it with Paul, Tim, Richie, etc. But there is a short segment with George and Debbie Grantham. Interspersed with Rusty's interview are songs by the current band members. I think this is a must-watch video for Poconuts. My guess is it was done in the last year or so.

Also good videos on Rush.

Give it a look and share your thoughts.
Denbo

Re: Amazon Prime

Postby mcdtj » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:58 am

This was taped near Orlando in February, 2014 when Poco swung through Florida on their "final" tour before "retiring." I saw them the night before at the Lyric Theater in Stuart, FL and was not planning to go to the taping. But my friends from Canada (Pocanuck and his brother) had a spare ticket, so I was able to attend.

It was an intimate setting, a really nice venue for making a video of a music performance. The band stopped and restarted a couple of tunes, but they nailed most songs on the first take.

I originally was sitting in the second row, just about center stage. But the lighting guy made me move a few seats to my right, just about opposite Jack, because they kept getting an unwanted reflection off my bald spot!!

I'm glad Rusty decided to keep the band going. If his Poco "what if" moment is about the original lineup, mine is about this lineup, with Paul. That version of Poco would have sounded pretty special, imo. But, c'est la vie...
mcdtj

Re: Amazon Prime

Postby Patm » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:17 pm

I''m a huge Doug Sahm fan and was very happy when Amazon Prime added the documentary "Sir Doug & the Genuine Texas Cosmic Groove" to their lineup.
https://www.amazon.com/Doug-Genuine-Tex ... B078X1PVWW

Excellent movie, covering the highs and lows, strengths and flaws of this musician. Would recommend it even to those not that familiar with Sahm's career.

RIP Doug
"Don't Stop The Carnival." (You've got to play by Kinja rules.)
Patm

Return to Poco Discussion