Underrated Guitarists

Discuss the band.

Underrated Guitarists

Postby Denbo » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:03 pm

Rolling Stone and other magazines always put out a list of the 100 greatest guitar players. We know the top five like Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen and so on.

Do you have some names to add to the list that are not already on there? Here are my top five.

Randy Bachmann (BTO)
Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac)
Neil Schon (Journey)
Steve Miller
Gary Rossington (Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Any others for you?
Denbo

Re: Underrated Guitarists

Postby Jiff » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:51 pm

Looks like 2015 is the most recent RS list I could find:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-guitarists-153675/lindsey-buckingham-39147/

Looks like the list is almost all electric guitarists, except for Joni, Willie Nelson and Clarence White, although he did play some electric, like on Sweetheart Of The Rodeo.

So just talking electric prowess and who I like: I see that Buckingham is at #100. I'd have him way higher, as well as Mike Campbell. I agree that Miller and Rossington should be in there.

A few of the players on there that are rated too high or I'd remove from the list and replace with players not on there are Buddy Holly (a strummer), Harrison (Paul said he couldn't jam), Townshend, Lennon, Cobain. I know some local guys that are better than them. Don't know much about the metal and hard rock players.

A few electric or semi-electric players I'd add, and remove the above and the metal and hard rock guys or players I'm not familiar with:

Dan Fogelberg, Tim Renwick (Sutherland Bros, Elton), Danny Kirwan, Hughie Thomasson, Roy Clark, Chet Atkins, Danny Gatton, Vince Gill, Albert Lee, Brad Paisley, Brian Setzer, Stueart Smith. Prince? I don't think I saw him on the list. Saw a guy on the CMAs a few days ago that impressed me: John Osborne.

If primarily acoustic players are included, and I'm sure many can play rings around some of the all-electric guys on the list if you hand them an electric guitar:
Bryan Sutton, Tommy Emmanuel, Tony Rice, Jerry Reed, Molly Tuttle, Doyle Dykes, Kaki King, James Nash, Leo Kottke, Billy Strings.

I stuck to pop, rock, country and bluegrass. No classical, jazz and those other genres. I'm sure there are some great players there.
Jiff

Postby studiogirl » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:01 pm

Some not on the Rolling Stone list but whom I think easily could be are John Jorgenson (Hellecasters, Desert Rose Band, and more), John Stewart, Joe South, Drake Levin (Paul Revere & the Raiders), and my favorite folkie, Dougie MacLean (of Scotland).
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby mcdtj » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:12 pm

studiogirl wrote: Drake Levin (Paul Revere & the Raiders...

While synchronized dancing with his bass player, no less!!
mcdtj

Re: Underrated Guitarists, John Jorgenson

Postby Jiff » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:58 pm

Yeah, Jorgenson should be on the list. Saw him a few times with Desert Rose and once with Albert Lee a few years ago, most excellent. When he toured in Elton's band in the mid 90s he wrote an interesting travelogue that was published daily on the web. Very interesting. Can't find it now.

Besides the Hellecasters, Albert Lee and Desert Rose Band, people he's toured or recorded with according to Wikipedia:
"Elton John, Tommy Emmanuel, The Byrds, Bob Dylan, Bob Seger, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Emmylou Harris, Hank Williams Jr., Barbra Streisand, Albert Lee, Luciano Pavarotti, Roy Orbison, Patty Loveless, Michael Nesmith, John Prine, and Bonnie Raitt."
Jiff

Postby RedDirtRog » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:44 am

Philip Donnelly, who can forget some memorable playing especially on the Lee Clayton albums. Sadly passed away last year.

Mike McClure, no finer singer-songwriter-guitarist around at the moment.
Well the music pours out on the street
Just as clean and cool as a cotton sheet

Country Rock, it's timeless
it's song will never ever age
Country Rock, it's in my bones
and they'll be singing along in my grave
RedDirtRog

Postby Denbo » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:01 am

I would also have to include Terry Kath of Chicago (CTA). He sadly passed away in 1978 so not a lot of familiarity for people younger than the baby-boomers. Man, could he play. And when Jimi Hendrix told Terry he was better than he was, what an incredible compliment.

Both were gone too soon.
Denbo

Return to Poco Discussion