Journal Aug. 2014

Messages directly from the band.

Journal Aug. 2014

Postby rusty » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:32 pm

http://www.poconut.org/#journal/entry/157
Retiring???

August 8, 2014

Wow! Retiring is a lot harder than I thought…

I didn’t realize that when you retire, you become obsessed with growing tomatoes. I’m not sure if it’s a genetic flaw or learned behavior. Soon you start bragging about your tomatoes and then start competing with a bunch of other old retired guys. Who grows the finest tomatoes? Heirloom versus Roma? What does the winner of the best tomato win? Dinner with Martha Stewart?

Well, between working on retirement, gardening and fishing, I’m working on ‘THE BOOK’ again. Sometimes I wish I was just dictating into a recorder and sending it off to a ghost writer. Now I understand why people do that. But, I do like the feeling of accomplishment I get when I know I’ve captured a moment in time. I guess I’ll just keep slogging away. I am getting dangerously close to the last chapter.

Sadly, since my previous post we lost our dear friend…Tom Hoffman. Tom was a great guy with a great smile. Tom and his friend Matt had arranged a concert for us in Mendocino, CA on July 20th, but he passed away a few weeks before the concert. His wife Anita was as gracious as Tom was generous. Tom’s kids and family were there for the show and everyone got a chance to celebrate his life. We’ll miss him.

On Sept. 26, I have my first ‘solo’ show along with Craig Fuller at The Bolton Center. I’m bringing the banjo and even planning a mini Roy Clark tribute. It should be very moving! Trivia aficionados may remember that the only Grammy nomination Poco ever received was for a banjo instrumental…we lost to Roy Clark…Hee Haw!
On October 11 and 12, I have two solo shows in California with Jimmy Messina. I’ll be ‘Sittin’ In’! That’s gonna’ be fun. We’re going to do some of the songs from the ‘Legacy’ CD. Oh, by the way, have you noticed Kenny Loggins and Kenny Rogers look exactly alike these days? Weird!!! Same plastic surgeon? I just hope Jimmy doesn’t start looking like Dolly Parton.

Well, I guess I’ve offended enough people for now. I’ll post tomato pics when they’re ripe, and if anyone has Martha Stewart’s number, pass it on.
Rusty
rusty

Return to Messages from Poco