Rusty Steel Symposium

Forum to upload all of your Poco related images! Upload images as attachments or display them in your posts. Images must be in either .jpg or .gif format.

Rusty Steel Symposium

Postby high and dry in n.y. » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:20 pm

Back in the 70's, Rusty wrote a monthly column in either Musician or Guitar player magazine giving steel guitar lessons.He'd transribe a solo he did with the band or break other songs for the fledgling players who aspired to learn how the hell he did it.Rusty was named best steel player of the year voted on by the fans so many times it became almost a given.Being a guitar player too, he used to fascinate me with his very own original style,and being loyal to the band I loved the fact my boy was considered the best player almost every year.Sure there were some great contemporaries of his, playing at the time too,Al Perkins,Sneaky Pete,Buddy Cage even Garcia dabbling on the instument.I've only named a few there are 100's more to choose from but with his technique,style and innovative use of the leslie to get that beautiful organ sound he used to blow my mind,how he could wring all those wonderful sounds out of his instrument.So lets hear it,who do ya like playing today and why.The steel solos he played are among the best you will hear,now and then and I hope he's playing it a lot more on the upcoming c.d."
high and dry in n.y.

Re: Rusty Steel Symposium

Postby kroney » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:54 pm

high and dry in n.y. wrote:Back in the 70's, Rusty wrote a monthly column in either Musician or Guitar player magazine giving steel guitar lessons.He'd transribe a solo he did with the band or break other songs for the fledgling players who aspired to learn how the hell he did it.Rusty was named best steel player of the year voted on by the fans so many times it became almost a given.Being a guitar player too, he used to fascinate me with his very own original style,and being loyal to the band I loved the fact my boy was considered the best player almost every year.Sure there were some great contemporaries of his, playing at the time too,Al Perkins,Sneaky Pete,Buddy Cage even Garcia dabbling on the instument.I've only named a few there are 100's more to choose from but with his technique,style and innovative use of the leslie to get that beautiful organ sound he used to blow my mind,how he could wring all those wonderful sounds out of his instrument.So lets hear it,who do ya like playing today and why.The steel solos he played are among the best you will hear,now and then and I hope he's playing it a lot more on the upcoming c.d."

High and dry....why don't you move this over to the other side where I think you will get some responses.....
With courage, strength, faith and hope we will face one day at a time.
kroney

Return to Images