The time is gone but the memories will last!

Discuss the band.

The time is gone but the memories will last!

Postby TonySTL » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:27 pm

I just learned that Rusty passed away yesterday. I have found sadness in the loss of many greats that have brought us our music over the years...but this one hits me the hardest.

Rusty made his fans and friends feel special. After a long performance, he continued to stay long after the music faded to visit with fans and share a story. or two

I have met so many people from around the world because of Rusty keeping the Legend alive. I sit here listening to Waiting for the Sun and am so sad for those who were close to Rusty. My heart goes out to Sarah and Will and to his wife Mary who I am honored to have called a friend.

I mourn with all the Poconuts who were gifted by the history of Rusty and Poco whether it was 50 years ago or within the past few months. We were given much by Rusty and I know I will always hold him high in my favorite musicians and people I have met.

Thank you Rusty for so much. A big hug to Mary as you will be in my thoughts on this sad occasion. Also, thank you to Mary for what I saw as a new inspiration for Rusty after she came into his life. There was even a little more magic in the last 18 years.
TonySTL

Re: The time is gone but the memories will last!

Postby calrickster » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:56 pm

Rest In Peace, Rusty! Thanks for the music and so many enjoyable nights listening to Poco.
My condolences Mary to you and to your family.
Calrickster
calrickster

Postby hiro » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:21 pm

Rest In Peace, Rusty.
hiro

Postby Denbo » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:02 am

Wow, this hurts. Rusty IS Poco. We are continually losing our music icons, but I don't think any of us were expecting something like this.

We all loved Poco for their music, talent, and humbleness. I met the guys at every concert I attended. This is definitely the end of an era.

Rest in peace Rusty. Know that you brought much happiness to your family, friends, and fans. The number of lives you touched cannot be counted.
Denbo

Postby Tabasco » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:04 pm

This is jarring. Rusty was a treasure in the world of music, and loved by so many for being his unique wonderful self.

A real loss ... indescribable. My prayer is that Mary and their family can find peace and comfort in so many happy memories.

The thought of not seeing Rusty on stage or at meet and greets ever again hurts. Thank you for all the wonderful music, Rusty, which we will cherish for the rest of our lives.
Tabasco

Postby mcdtj » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:05 pm

All of us who loved Poco loved Rusty. He was, as he used to say, often, the only person who attended every Poco concert. But while he was "Mr. Poco" onstage, he was just "Rusty" off-stage, whether he was signing autographs or maybe even having dinner with some fans/friends after a show.

My all time favorite memory goes back 8-10 years. Poco was to play in a high school gym in Viburnum (I think), MO as the high point of the town's fall festival or something. I think he and Mary were a bit worried that not many citizens would show up for the concert. So they hosted a cookout and hoedown around a campfire the night before to draw Poconuts to town (70-80 showed up, if memory serves) knowing they would stay for the show the next night. I ended up next to Rusty at the hoedown. At one point, as we were playing "Grand Junction" and it was my turn to solo, I played one of Messina's solos from the DeLIVErin' version of the song. When my turn was done, Rusty leaned over and said, "Wow, I haven't heard that played for a while. You sounded great!" You made my day, Rusty... and many more both before and thereafter. You'll be missed. Tim
mcdtj

Postby woogie » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:06 am

I just read the news on freebird radio, needless to say I am sad at hearing Rusty has passed away.I have been a Poconut since 1980, always regarded the band as my favourite.I saw them in London many years ago and had to leave before the meet and greet and have always regretted not being able to meet them .Rusty thanks for all the music we will miss you.Condolences to Mary and the family.May he rest in peace.
woogie

Return to Poco Discussion